Chefelf.com Night Life: may the "force" be with you...???... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

may the "force" be with you...???... mmm another content problem big time

#1 User is offline   benny blanco Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:53 AM

greetings...

just thought of this while watching ep 3 on hbo...

explain the following...

in the original and best SW we see / hear for the first time "force" , "jedi" etc...namely in the death star ready room...first with the imperial command , and then tarkin...

it would seem to the viewer that 1 with the command staff vader is viewed as a relic of the past...

2 even tarkin states to vader that the jedi light is gone from the universe and that vader ( even calls him "friend" ) is the last of their religion....mmmm mmmm mmmm......

why then does the rebel commander "bless" the D.S. attack team with the words "may the force be with you"....????....

why does solo do the same when speaking to luke...

these people are not "force" sensetive....nor would they be privied to the teaching of the jedi order...be it lack of the knowledge of the order or being illegal....

maybe they just mouth the words as say a "sun-shine patroit"....or cause it "cool"

no where in the ep 1 and 2 and then ep 4 and 5 does it show "non force sensetive" peoples "blessing" others with the "force"....

in fact where does lucas show in the movies how the "regular" speices relate to those "force sensetive"....considering the influance of the jedi order in the galaxy...

obi-wan did say they were the guardians of peace and justice for a thousand generations...

( appox 15,ooo to 20,000 years )...

so whats up here...not all are jedi....

#2 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:46 AM

these people are not "force" sensetive....nor would they be privied to the teaching of the jedi order...be it lack of the knowledge of the order or being illegal....

It might follow the same logic of atheists saying, "God bless you!" to someone who has just sneezed.

#3 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

At one time (before the dark times, i.e., the PT), it was believed among SW fans, that if people---anybody---were dedicated enough, and trained hard enough, and devoted enough (like in martial arts), you could tap into the Force and use it and wield it.

It even seemed that the Force could pick and choose whom it wanted to aid. So, hypothetically speaking, Luke could be trying to use the Force, and the Force decides, "mmm, no, I'll help this other guy over here."

Now, with the midichlorian claptrap, it can't be a religion anymore. It's about superwarriors genetically pre-determined to be Jedi, making the sayings from the OT obsolete and silly.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#4 User is offline   Jedi_1138 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Mythology, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Aikido, Kenjutsu, BtVS, Angel, CSI

Posted 16 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Can't help but to agree with you, Curtis.

Maybe we have to make a distinction between the PT and OT once more?

However, upon reviewing Star Wars again, my feelings torward this scenes are pretty clear (not sure if they make sense regarding the overall story, though.) I thought that Tarkin was just dead wrong. There are still people remembering the Jedi, the force and the better days.
This is especially true when you watch Han Solo wishing to Luke that "the force may be with him", although he still doesn't belive in the existance(sp?) of such a mystical energy field.
That lines help us understand the subtext: faith and skills against mass technology and opression.

Btw...Vaders line "The force is with you, young Skywalker. But you're not a Jedi yet" in TESB seems to back up the idea that the force itself can somehow 'choose' who it is supporting.

Does anyone else wish GL had watched the OT carefully and used the chance to explain this huge piece of SW mythology instead of comming up with MediChlorians or whatever they are called?

Oh, and one more thingy, I forgot.

If no-one knows much about the Jedi, the Sith, the force and when 'may the force be with you' isn't a general term (as it seems very much in the PT) how come so many beings know abt the Jedi mind trick?
In RtoJ, when Luke uses Bib Fortuna, Jabba realises pretty fast that he 'uses the mind trick' and hits Bib.
The same goes for the mind-trick of Qui-Gong in TPM. ("What do you think you are? Some kind of Jedi?")

Doesn't seem consitant to me.

#5 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:33 PM

The mind trick has only failed on two species, but I see what you mean. It seems to kind of demean this in ROTJ a bit, too. I would like to have seen the mindtrick throughout the PT, and then all of sudden in ROTJ it doesn't. It's like a crap shoot for a Jedi in this case. "Should I bother?"

I kind of wish the mind-trick HAD worked on Watto, then we could skip the whole unnecessary pod-race thing. Maybe Qui-Gon didn't give it his all. smile.gif

This all makes me wonder what exactly what Obi-Wan meant by "weak-minded." Retarded? Simple, base values? An inferiorly developed mind like a clones? These powers only work on stormtroopers? I thought the ability would be a little broader than that, and the reason the Jedi don't use it on everybody is because of morals.

*OH! Just thought of another that the mindtrick supposedly wouldn't work on. Padme. Of course, Anakin didn't even try... what a dope. I so woulda had her meowing... er... I mean....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (benny blanco @ Jun 16 2006, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
greetings...

just thought of this while watching ep 3 on hbo...

explain the following...

in the original and best SW we see / hear for the first time "force" , "jedi" etc...namely in the death star ready room...first with the imperial command , and then tarkin...

it would seem to the viewer that 1 with the command staff vader is viewed as a relic of the past...

2 even tarkin states to vader that the jedi light is gone from the universe and that vader ( even calls him "friend" ) is the last of their religion....mmmm mmmm mmmm......

why then does the rebel commander "bless" the D.S. attack team with the words "may the force be with you"....????....

why does solo do the same when speaking to luke...

Well, it's sort of the way someone says "Good luck" to one heading out on a long journey. The person going on the journey can't affect their luck, neither can saying "Good luck", but one hopes that it will bring some sort of blessing.

This post has been edited by Otal Nimrodi: 16 June 2006 - 07:40 PM

Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   Jedi_1138 Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Mythology, Fantasy, Martial Arts, Aikido, Kenjutsu, BtVS, Angel, CSI

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

I hear ya, Curtis...smile.gif)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size