Chefelf.com Night Life: Why does Palpatine rescue Anakin from the lava pit - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Why does Palpatine rescue Anakin from the lava pit Meesa think it makes no sense

#1 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 11:56 AM

It appears to be the Sith Order’s avowed duty, Master and Apprentice alike, to off each other at the most opportune moment as witnessed in ROTS by Palpatine inciting Anakin to kill Dooku and his heart warming re-telling of the ‘Tragedy’ of Darth Plagueius. Why then does Palps pull that Darth Vader is in trouble and I must go and rescue him routine when Anakin and Obi-Wan are locked in their duel over the lava pit?

Palpatine’s rescue of Anakin was illogical. Anakin had served his purpose - the Jedi Order had been taken down. Why would Palpatine rescue Anakin’s ‘pathetic life form’ from the lava pit when he had already foreseen that Vader would one day be more powerful than both he and Yoda? Anakin was after all the Chosen One, the one who would one day bring a balance to the force by getting rid of the Sith. Why it's as if, Palpatine “The Smart One” WANTED to repeat Plagueius’ tragedy.

#2 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:55 PM

i cant be sure on sidious's true motivation, but it seems to me that he still needed an apprentice (cause thats sith style) and someone to mop up the remaining jedi. if anakin were orginally going to be stronger than sidious, and sidious was affraid of that power, then the lava pit was the perfect balancing (no pun intended) of his abilities; making him only slightly less powerful than the emperor. why waste such a valuable, and now totally loyal, tool?

This post has been edited by xenduck: 13 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:50 AM

Quite simple: If he hadn's saved Anakin/Vader then Lucas would have had a LOT more work to do in editing his next version of the OT.

This is part of the reason the Sith "only two" thing is just annoying. It doesn't make sense that anyone would ever take an apprentice if their motives are the way that they are.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:01 PM

well, no one said it was part of sith dogma to only have two. to my ears, yoda was making a general statement about the condition of the sith.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#5 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:49 PM

the only reason their are only two sith is to hide their numbers.obviously there are more then two sith in the universe but you only see two at a time.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#6 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jul 14 2005, 04:49 PM)
the only reason their are only two sith is to hide their numbers.obviously there are more then two sith in the universe but you only see two at a time.

I allways thought that the OT established that the jedis (and siths) can feel all the
Force users at a great distance. and i thnk that an active sith it must be all the time planing evil, like Dooku.
Then we see Palpayine undetected in the same building, why to be just two of them if the jedis are so week with the force to note anything?

#7 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jul 14 2005, 07:49 PM)

I don't think so. IN ROTJ it is quite clear that with The Emperor and Vader dead the Sith have been defeated and the Jedi are back in existence. Also check out the official star wars website it is quite clear that there are only ever 2 Sith in existence in the whole universe seen or unseen.

#8 User is offline   Magee Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 18 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

I think that lost in all this discussion about apprentices killing masters is the cheapening of Vader's redemption in ROTJ.

The most powerful, the most tear-inducing, the most realistic human relationship in the entire sextet is now viewed by most as the twisted foregone conclusion of an unexplained Sith apprentice's need to vanquish his master. Now replacing one of the most heart-wrenching father-son redemptions in all of modern cinema.

Too say nothing of the fact that during the scene the Emperor, the supposed arch-villain of the entire series, comes off as a truly benevolent father figure, making Vader's betrayal more wretched than endearing, more disgusting than inspiring.

In fact given the Jedi's horrid behavior (the spying, the feckless protection of the galaxy, Windu's attempted slaying of Palpatine) and Anakin's almost complete incompetence (despite the constant referring to his supposed unexhibited power) the Emperor comes off as a better protaganist than do any of the Jedi.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size