Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Coruscant Where does the air come from?

#1 User is offline   jxw Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

It's only since reading Chefelf's reasons for the latest travesty that it's occurred to me what a stupid planet Coruscant is. The whole planet is a city, so what produces the oxygen for everybody/thing to breathe? There's no greenery at all on the planet. You don't have to be a committed environmentalist to realise that there's something drastically wrong with the ecosystem on the planet.

I've no doubt that GL has already considered this point and has a sensible answer ti explain everything.

#2 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

You're forgetting one thing - Coruscant isn't Earth. Maybe the oxygen just naturally occurs on Coruscant. Okay, it's a crap excuse, but it's better than none.

You're wrong about Lucas, though... he hasn't considered the point, and he almost certainly won't have an explanation. Remember the "Our ability to use the Force has diminished" stuff from AOTC? That didn't make any sense, and did Lucas have an answer? NO! He takes pleasure in letting gushers think that he had Episodes I-VI planned out from day one, but the point is that he can't be bothered to think up reasons for anything anymore.

#3 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (Bohrok Awakener @ Jun 21 2005, 04:17 PM)
You're forgetting one thing - Coruscant isn't Earth. Maybe the oxygen just naturally occurs on Coruscant. Okay, it's a crap excuse, but it's better than none.

actually no, none would have been better than that...

firstly, plankton in the ocean is what generates a majority of our planetary oxygen.

But the lack of greenery would reduce the amount of ecosystem cycled air...

I'm sure we're supposed to assume there are air factories on Croissant, (or at least O2 scrubbers, and CO2 redistribution refineries, etc. etc. and all the other sci-fi basics) so that the planet is like one big space station, sea lab, or something... the air would be quite dry...

However the lack of green terrain there would suggest a zero agricultural yield and an ecosystem so removed that no native animals could possible inhabit the place... at least no land based animals. It would take rather dense and concentrate Aquatic bionetwork teaming with life to give the planet any realistic balance… but without any connections to a land environment, I’m not sure it would adequately function and offer any real benefit to the land dwellers above…
I assume they would have, given the technologically advanced nature of the galaxy, some manner of clean efficient and non-polluting form of energy. But still…

Seeing as the entire world is more or less one huge city it leaves one asking where all the metals and other construction materials came from. Would that planet truly yield sufficient resources to construct such a vast megopolis? I would have to say that with all the vehicles, weapons, ridiculously tall buildings, sewage systems, roads, pipes, conduits, Air factories, etc. that that planet would have been lucky to be naturally responsible for 10% of the materials used. Which would mean that a majority of the heavy components making up that planets constructed surface was mined off world.
Now, If that’s the case, your talking about a massive overload of mass being added to a planet. Now If you substantially add to the mass of a planet that is orbiting a sun, you are going to wreak havoc with it’s natural orbital course and increase pressure on the planet itself as well as push the atmosphere outward… then with all that built up area, would naturally come more people, aliens, to occupy the available space…
And when that happens it really doesn’t matter how many trees have been cut down…

That planet is truly fucked!!!

It leaves a lot of questions open…
But, then that’s why I have always said these films are fantasy and not sci-fi…
Because in sci-fi, you kind of have to answer for things…
(which further supports that it was wrong for Midichlorians to be introduced (but let’s keep that argument where it belongs)

good thread jxw

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Maybe all those sky cars are somehow purifying the air, which would explain why there is ALWAYS the SAME amount of traffic in the background noise. Pixel pollution.

Anyway, maybe the planet is hollow. It was mined.

Had to be a city planet.
Desert planet, Ice planet, Fire Planet, Swamp Planet, Forest Planet, Water Planet and Alderaan were already taken.

#5 User is offline   THX-1138 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

In theory, you could probably have oxygen imported, coupled with some sort of air recycling system, similar to an airplane. I myself don't know how the skies would be kept clean, but of course if I did I'd be rich. They probably bought a bunch of Ionic Breezes.

#6 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (jxw @ Jun 21 2005, 03:31 PM)
It's only since reading Chefelf's reasons for the latest travesty that it's occurred to me what a stupid planet Coruscant is. The whole planet is a city, so what produces the oxygen for everybody/thing to breathe? There's no greenery at all on the planet. You don't have to be a committed environmentalist to realise that there's something drastically wrong with the ecosystem on the planet.

I've no doubt that GL has already considered this point and has a sensible answer ti explain everything.

I was just thinking that.

Not to mention potable drinking water, food, etc...

#7 User is offline   Darth Vicious Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (andy_k_250 @ Jun 22 2005, 03:32 PM)
I was just thinking that.

Not to mention potable drinking water, food, etc...

I never really thought about the fact that the whole planet is one giant metropolis. Damn that's dumb.

Maybe the planet has a coniferous core, so they just have to drill for air like we drill for oil.

#8 User is offline   Electric Monkey Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:24 PM

Plants need to photosynthesise, so they'd be on the top, under sun-lamps all the time, or GM/alien plants to take a different form of energy. Then there's the heat that needs to be radiated into space. Some people have done calculations for the quantity of heat that would be generated by the people alone (assuming that all machines are 100% efficient and/or have science-fiction perfect heatsinks) and the result is incredible. Of course, this is the civilisation that built a moon-size, superluminal battlestation with a weapon capable of destroying a planet, and I think it's already been stated that Coruscant is completely dependent on imports - they'd find a way. Impractically dense cities seem to be a common feature in most science fiction I've come across-Star Wars has Coruscant, Asimov has Trantor, and the hives in Warhammer 40K, in which only the richest people ever see the sky seem to have their equivalents in a fair few places.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Electric Monkey @ Jun 22 2005, 08:24 PM)
Of course, this is the civilisation that built a moon-size, superluminal battlestation with a weapon capable of destroying a planet
Two of them. Three if you've been on Star Tours.

Maybe the middle of the planet is like a giant, self-replenishing battery? rolleyes.gif

I think it's already been stated that Coruscant is completely dependent on imports

Good points all. With so many less imports than a self-sufficient planet like NaBOO, you'd think THEY would have a problem with the greedy trade federation. It's not like there's an army of effective warriors nearby or anything.

#10 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:08 AM

I don't see this as a major problem:
The capital of the galaxy in Asimov's "Foundation" series was also a planet-size metropolis. It's briliantly built about how all the raw materials and food had to be imported from a huge number of supporting nearby systems to support this large burecratical society who only occupied in administering a galaxy. People there developed a natural fear for being "outside" (ie. without an artificial root over them ) and so on... kinda neat and believable.

If you think about it , it's easy to look at New York and say .. men that' impossible: how can all these people get anything to eat: there is nothing but metal and concrete for miles and millions of people would require tons of food. Well guess what: that food is "imported from a huge number of nearby cities" ... well, you get the joke.

What I want to know more is : for a galaxy-sized republic (arround 220.000 billion star systems) why is every PLANET represented in the senate. It's like each house in America would have a representative.... Could I sugest that the Republic's political system is silly ?
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

Well I wouldn't use Foundation to support the idea of Coruscant (though I'm sure Hari Seldon will have something to say about this wink.gif) but I don't really have a problem with it. Any planet that can have trillions of people and be so advanced as to be one giant city is fine with me. That was the only part of Foundation that I actually liked, that descriptions of the planet. If they can build such a city I can believe that they can import and create air artificially, etc. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#12 User is offline   winkdink Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:My interests are my Wife and 3 Sons,building computers,P.C. Games,Bass &amp; Walleye Fishing( Walleye Fishing in Quebec &amp; Ontario whenever I get the Chance). I absolutely love American Revolution History and reading.<br /> My Heroes are George Washington , Nathaniel Greene , Daniel Morgan.my Mom and my Wife.

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:19 PM

I concur with several of the replies about technology producing the air/oxygen. My gripes have been the contradictions and the lack of technologies, where Mr.Lucas needs it to fit the stories cause he painted himself in to a corner.

winkdink

#13 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:42 AM

but as i said in my post that no one read, o2 production is the least of their problems...

that planet is an ecological disaster.

they've turned it into one giant wrecking ball...

#14 User is offline   Nicholas_Skywalker Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:27 PM

aw god, its just a movie!! Why not complain about how there can be no noise in space? or talk about how there can be humans that look and function the same as us in another galaxy?

#15 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Nicholas_Skywalker @ Jun 25 2005, 02:27 PM)
aw god, its just a movie!! Why not complain about how there can be no noise in space? or talk about how there can be humans that look and function the same as us in another galaxy?

OK, it's just a movie, but remember, a BAD ONE!
The problem is that lucas doesn't respect his own universe.
It's Ok to take some licences to create a poetic reality but it should be beleaveble!
It seem that he made the fisics up on the run, and in such a mediocre movie overall, that's is unforgettable.

Please a Topic about the School to learn to mount monsters! How's that with obi-wan mounting lizards (ROTS) and circus monsters (AOTC) so easy?
At least, Luke had some time in ESB.

(Sorry, I'm an argentinian with no so good english. GO MANU GINOBILLI!)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size