Chefelf.com Night Life: "Hello, Yoda I am, your captain today I will be." - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

"Hello, Yoda I am, your captain today I will be." Jedi Pilots

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:22 AM

Call me crazy, but having other Jedi pilots seems to diminish whatever importance Anakin's piloting may have had. I'm almost surprised we didn't see Yoda flying a ship at one point in Episode III.

What do you all think?

"Hello, Yoda I am, your captain today I will be. Peanuts provided shall be. Predator will your in-flight movie be."
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

I always thought that Jedi would pilot fighters... I personally don't see anything too wrong with that.

Of course, the key word here is 'too'. I would have expected only a handful of Jedi to be pilots and mos tof them being in the commanding role of things.

Actually, I expected the Jedi to be far more mystical and special, too. GL totally destroyed that little fantasy of mine. Not that I care anymore, anyway.

#3 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

Yoda's ship would probably bounce across the vastiness of the galaxy.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#4 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Anakin was just a much better pilot than the other jedis, that's the significance.

Piloting was probably part of basic training. If there's ever a Jedi version of Full Metal Jacket we'll find out for certain.

Full Hooded Cloak, perhaps.

#5 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

It would make sense for Jedi to learn to fly. It's a skill that will often be necessary, just like old knights learning to ride horses. It's practical and useful.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#6 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Jun 17 2005, 04:00 PM)

Hahahahahaha! thumbsup.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#7 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Why have jedis be pilots? Why put them in harms way for no reason? Can the clone pilots not be directed form a great distance by the jedi?

Of course the jedi have basic piloting skills, which doesn't mean they should be flying combat spacecraft.

The jedi are just that - jedi, not combat pilots.

#8 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Jun 17 2005, 12:00 PM)
Piloting was probably part of basic training.  If there's ever a Jedi version of Full Metal Jacket we'll find out for certain.

Someone has to make a fan film of that idea. It's so funny. biggrin.gif
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#9 User is offline   Thracozaag Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

"I am Gunnery Sgt. Windu, your senior Jedi Instructor!! From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be 'master'! Do you padawans understand that......."

koji

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (superrepus @ Jun 19 2005, 07:15 PM)
Why have jedis be pilots?  Why put them in harms way for no reason?  Can the clone pilots not be directed form a great distance by the jedi? 

Of course the jedi have basic piloting skills, which doesn't mean they should be flying combat spacecraft. 

The jedi are just that - jedi, not combat pilots.

yep... i totalluy agree...

you have these super warriors with powers, why would you not utilize them were they belong rather then stick them in a flying peice of metal where their powers are virtually usless...

the ability to block lazer fire with your sword, choke and push people infront of you, jump around acrobatically, pick up a weapon from across the room, is all a little redundant when your sitting in a small cockpit waiting to be shot down.

the very concept would be like a medieval battle where the 7 foot tall rippling-muscle bound trained since birth warriors are up the back on crossbow duty while the anorexic 15 year olds are up the front dragging claymores on the ground.

i'm no expert on warefare, but it's such a obviously poor distribution of men and resources...

#11 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

True, but Jedi would still be taught how to fly, even if they didn't go into combat. They need a wide variety of training. What happens when they need a ride and go "Whoops, I guess I'll just have to go with my Grand Theft Speeder experience on this one."
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:35 PM

"Full Hooded Cloak" tongue.gif

Of course Jedi would be pilots. Your lamest police officer can still get to the donut shop.
Still, law enforcement requires those with driving proficiency.

And Yoda proves, it helps to know how to get out of a ditch.

#13 User is offline   Electric Monkey Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:46 PM

I don't see the problem. To do all the sabre-fighting and force throwing, they have to get to where the enemy is first, and these places are probably going to be too heavily defended for larger spacecraft piloted by non-prescient crew to get through short of a full-on assault with massive bombardments and terrible loss of life and material. Since they need to do that sort of stuff, they'd probably be sufficiently trained (and with the precognition and everything) to be the best pilots for important missions against heavy defences. The Republic could save money on targetting computers as well.

This post has been edited by Electric Monkey: 22 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

#14 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:16 PM

yep... i totalluy agree...

you have these super warriors with powers, why would you not utilize them were they belong rather then stick them in a flying peice of metal where their powers are virtually usless...

Well, there is the PS2 game JEDI STARFIGHTER, in which Adi Gallia's starfighter has four different force powers that can be used.

the powers are:

Force Shield: Puts a shield around your craft for a temp time.
Force Lightning: Lock onto a targt, then use this...of there are a group of fighters flying close together, then this will attack off of them at once.
Force Shockwave: Emits a shockwave
Force Slow down time: Ok ok....thats not the official name. I forgot what it was, but it slowed down time so that your fighter could move faster and get a ton of shots in.

#15 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:51 PM

I'm no saying they wouldn't have abilites that would benifite them in a dogfight (even though realistically Force Lightning and shockwave sound like abilities that would compromise their own ship - all things considered) but som sort of small APC would be more appropriate.

at the end of the day, jedi are primarily trained and superior at physical combat and close personal force attacks. a piloting skill would be useful, but they are at risk.

i think a beter analogy is neccesary to reinterate my point...

it would be like having your warlocks (wizard/fighter) in some sort of AD&D game operating the trebuchets instead of hurling fire balls at the incomming orcs...

or having an assasin run in with the infantry rather then sneak in the back to assasinate the genral...

their saftey is severly compramised in small fighter jet, regarless of it manuverability. yes, maybe their force powers could save them from a guided missle, but a halfway decent gunner with reasonable everyday experience based intuitivness would be able to fire a straif that would desimate a jet without the force being able to intervine...

it just way too pricarious...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size