• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Shield, Season 4

#1 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 March 2005 - 05:54 PM

Psyched for the new season. Addition of Glen Close should be really good, not sure where they are taking this season following the events of last year. Still believe it is one of the top 3 shows on now.

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 06 March 2005 - 04:32 AM

Isn't that the cop show with the no nonsense policeman who dosnt play by the rules? Oh, wait...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:52 AM

Yeah, if you never seen the show and read the synopsis, one would think that "Yeah, this has never been done before!" But there are certain things that make it different:

1. Being on basic cable, almost anything goes from language, violence and sex.
2. Outstanding, realistic dialogue.
3. There are always consequences for their actions. Nothing happens and is then forgotten. A cop carelessly smacking a perp ends up having consequences that can set off a chain rxn that will carry throughout a season.
4. Like the Sopranos, only having to write 13 epsodes a season allows you to ensure good quality throughout...there are no throw-away episodes.
5. Great character development. There is no one-dimensional good guy/bad guy types. Throughout the series, every character is brought out in great detail through back story, history circumstance, etc.

I recommend the first season DVD to anyone.

#4 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 March 2005 - 04:01 AM

Actually, it's about several cops who don't play by the rules. However, unlike every other lone wolf cop show, the reason these police don't play by the rules is not because they're trying to do justice and "the system" is protecting the criminal. No, these cops don't play by the rules because they are corrupt and the show acknowledges that they are corrupt.

The main character runs drugs on the side, plants false evidence, and has even murdered another cop who was getting too close to his operation. The show explores police corruption without condoning it and does not suggest that its "okay sometimes to bend the rules as long as you get the bad guy" as a million other mediocre cop shows have done in the past.

So your snark, JM, is misplaced.

#5 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:01 PM

If any of you ever get a chance, a show that is worth watching and getting on DVD is "THE WIRE" on HBO.

It is the most realistic show about cops, the drug trade & corruption in Baltimore

It will take about four or five episodes to get into the story, but it will be well worth it.

It was made by the creator of Homicide: Life on the Streets.

#6 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

You are absolutely right, Mike Mac.

The Wire is the best show on television. Period.

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:31 AM

I stand corrected, that sounds highly decent.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic