Chefelf.com Night Life: Technology in War - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Technology in War Progress?

#1 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 09:31 PM

I was reading this article:
http://www.nytimes.c.../2QQlU4glYLqfmQ

What do we think of this? I think it's an interesting subject....Firstly, it's one of many examples of using technology to invent new and unusual ways to explode each other. Secondly, we shouldn't necessarily be giving robots guns. They have good reason to kill off the human race (namely, that a significant portion of it is comprised of idiots who want to kill each other anyway).

Also, once you remove the human element of war, there will be even less hesitation to enter it. Of course, if in the unlikely event that there are no people fighting in it, then it's not terrible, however I am imagining this turning into a modern-day arms race, except with robots. If two sides are involved in a war with robots, then both sides will keep destroying the other side's robots, and both sides will keep having to make new ones, and that's going to be a tremendous waste of money for everyone involved.

What bothers me the most, though, is that the technology here is not being used for progress. It's being used to kill each other, which shows that while our technology has certainly improved since the stone age, our mindset has not changed at all. Technology has so much potential to make the world better, but there's no innovation here in terms of what these robots are doing; killing is old.

Bomb-diffusing robots are good though, since they prevent putting people at risk of dying.

This post has been edited by Emu: 16 February 2005 - 09:34 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#2 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:49 PM

Wow, I knew about the lazers and the holograms, but this is news to me. Robots for the military eh... well there goes my job security. dry.gif

What bothers me the most, though, is that the technology here is not being used for progress. It's being used to kill each other

HAAHAHAHAHAHA laugh.gif you're suprized that this is being used for the military first? We use every peice of new technology to kill things when they're first invented. Hell, even the can opener was first invented to be used in the front lines.

From news story
The hardest thing of all, robot designers say, is to build a soldier that looks and acts human, like the "I, Robot" model imagined by Isaac Asimov and featured in the recent movie of the same name.

Ok this kinda worries me right here. I'm not sure if these guys watched the same movie but here's a recap incase they're listening to our conversation (you know they are):
Robots begin as good guys but then start to enslave us humans because we are causing our own demise (and you know we are). So Will Smith played by Will Smith saves humanity once again by getting buck nekkid in a shower sceen, making sarcastic remarks, and rising above his one and only one fear that conveinietly shows up as his only obstical toword his goal of saving our asses.

Well whenever I see stories of 'governmental sanctioned humanity destroying of humanity' I think to my self "hey whater you worried about Kirb, you'll be long dead before these tosspots kill ya. So Pentagon More Powah to ya."

PS: if you're pissed off for me spoiling the move, well... Piss off, when a movie gets on HBO it is old enough to be spoiled with out warning
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 12:41 AM

Most technology was invented for war. Math, Chemistry, and Physics have all been used as tools to help wage war.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:53 AM

Ultimately all progress is due to some conflict or other, but war's the big one with no excuses. Hopefully when everything's died down on the international stage some good will come of it.

Sadly I can't see the article without signing up, which I'm not going to do. but I have distant memories of this:

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4199935.stm

Same thing? I was somewhat disturbed to see that they want to hook up a VR headset and gameboy. Will this mean that the US government will be smart bombing LAN parties in Iran to take out their operators?
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#5 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Feb 17 2005, 12:41 AM)
Most technology was invented for war.  Math, Chemistry, and Physics have all been used as tools to help wage war.

I'll say, ever seen a man killed by the hypotenuse of a right triangle or watched children bleed to death, cut open by a differential equation? It's harrowing stuff.

It's naieve to think that any technology isn't immediately attempted to be applied to war. I'm just waiting for the swiss military to upgrade from knives to guns. Then we're really screwed.

Robots:
I've said it before, and I'll say it until people listen, building true AI is bad news. You start making things act human that don't need to eat, sleep, interact with others and feel and you've got walking death machines.

Maybe when we're enslaved by robots I can strike a deal to work with them as an (arguably) rational person in mediating betwixt the nihilistic nature of our species with cold logic.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#6 User is offline   Wayne Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2005 - 04:43 PM

My guess is that when the world finally calms down, when the world shoots every unexploded nuclear missle into the sun (or wherever), when it seems like everything is going fine, Switzerland will pull out a doomsday device a la Dr. Strangelove and hold the world hostage.
And we want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by the man! And we want to get loaded!

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:18 PM

if you can't kill a man with a sword or your bare hands, you're a pussy!!!

that's where i stand.

#8 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 17 February 2005 - 10:25 PM

Hear hear, Barend!

Switzerland? Nah. More like Jamaica... I'm watching them...

#9 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:39 AM

Switzerland and Jamaica are the secret axis of evil? I'm thought all they did was make clocks and get stoned.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#10 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

Well, I wasn't saying I was surprised by these events (I'm not), just bringing it up for discussion. Actually it is more difficult for me to think of technological advancements that haven't been twisted into some way to kill people than it is to think of ones that have. And on that note, the Swiss are most likely secretly working on some way to turn clocks into weapons of mass destruction as well. mellow.gif

This post has been edited by Emu: 19 February 2005 - 07:51 PM

Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#11 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:10 AM

Are you guys saying that the bird in my mom's kookoo clock is one day gonna pull a AK on our asses? sad.gif

This post has been edited by Kirby: 20 February 2005 - 01:12 AM

TALES OF INTEREST.

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 20 February 2005 - 03:42 AM

Fighting wars without human beings is dishonorable and cowardly. The entire point of war is that people die. If they didn't than war wouldn't be horrible or glorious. Without risk there are no glory. Without loss there is no pain. Glory and loss are the two things that make war. The other problem is that not everyone has access to robots. Let's face it the US, China and maybe Russia are the only countries that could have forces like this and everyone else would be screwed.

Wars should always be fought by humans. I can't explain how against this I am.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#13 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

Sorry, but it doesn't matter how against this your gonna be, it will happen. But don't worry, there will only be about 5 years of the big 3's robot dominance before the other countries reverse enginer this stuff.

Edit: Please take note of the google ads that show up on this topic.

This post has been edited by Kirby: 20 February 2005 - 04:31 PM

TALES OF INTEREST.

#14 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:01 PM

They'd only fight with robots until they realized that the public couldn't get off on the carnage anymore. Seeing a pile of naked robot bodies smoking doesn't have the same effect. But if we could perhaps enslave the loseing populace once the robots are gone, then maybe it would work...

I'm going to figure out a way to bring propaganda into robot wars so it isn't realized how utterly stupid and pointless they are.

#15 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I saw something about that, if the robot kills a cillivan who is to blame, or is it just an industrial accident.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size