Chefelf.com Night Life: Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice Prinnies? In MY thread? More likely than you think...

#1 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

So Disgaea 3 is coming to the PS3 next week. Let's discuss.

Release Date (NA): August 26, 2008
Platform: Playstation 3
Related Articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disgaea_3

Me? I'm a bit surprised that it's a PS3 release. It seems that the quality of the sprites haven't really necessitated the need for PS3 hardware (especially after seeing titles like Odin Sphere on the PS2). But I didn't happen to snag a PS3 this summer, and this was one of my reasons for doing so.

I'm a little dissapointed that they're already releasing DLC. I'm so sick of the DLC model for everything.

However the trailers and such look fun, I can't wait to waste another 100+ hours.

#2 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:13 PM

Initial Thoughts?

Much improved graphically and system wise.

The sprites remain the same unfortunately, however, the environments seem more lush and complete. The animations are more intense and varied.

The voice acting is humorous as always, and well cast.

The new homeroom system is interesting, as now it's not just about holding votes (Dark Council).

The way mana is used to purchase and upgrade abilities is cool. There's no reason to have a couple thousand unused mana anymore.

Geoblocks and other environmental destructible entities are a nice addition.

The throwing system has been slightly altered so you can catch, as well as buy abilities tied to stacking.

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:01 AM

How would you compare this series to Final Fantasy Tactics? I've heard it's good, and I don't own a PS3 but I'm thinking of picking up the original for the PS2 now that it's been re-released.

#4 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

If you're looking for story, it's nothing serious. It's entirely tongue in cheek. But it's fun and cute. The characters have some real personality. As far as how deep the gameplay goes it's exponentially deeper. It took me a few hours of playing to really get a handle on the combat since there are so many options and different ways to win.

If you don't want to get too deep, you can levels your characters up to around 100 and beat the storylines. If you wanna do all the sidequests or pull off some crazy numbers, you can level your characters up to 9999 and reincarnate (relevel keeping a percentage of your base stats) a number of times. Not only do you level on the normal maps, you can go inside your items to progress through random maps to level up your items as well.

If you liked FFT and you like silly humor, you'll probably love the series.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size