Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

What if the OT didn't exist And it started with Episode I in 1999

#1 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

OK everyone, I am aware that there's a thread on a topic similiar to this on judging the Prequels on their own, but I decided to bring up this particular hypothsis for discussion.

What if the Original Triology just didn't exist to begin with? And that George Lucas somehow got his success from some other movie or whatever and then, in 1999, released the Phantom Menace with the full intention of starting a long movie series and franchise.

Now as we know, the primary reason why we and other people dislike the prequels so much is not simply because of them being bad movies (if that was the case then people would have quickly forgotten about them. After all, there are loads of bad movies out there and few people bother to spend so much time breaking them apart), but because of their butchery of the one of the most beloved and famous movies of our past and popular culture.

But how would the whole thing, and Star Wars itself, be treated if it simply didn't exist before 1999? Also, what if after Episode III, Episode IV, V, and VI would have been made in the same style and writing and whatever as the previous ones where made? How would have things been different? The people's reactions to the movies, and most of all, your reactions and attitudes towards them?

Let's hear your thoughts.

#2 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

If the OT didn't exist, well, the Phantom Menace would have been released to a great big collective "meh." Would two movies have followed? Probably not. People would've told George Lucas to stick with Indiana Jones, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull would've come out when Shaia LeBeouf was still on Even Stevens.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#3 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

Yeah. The PT is a pompous, self-indulgent wank fest. Cameo shots of little Greedo, Young Jabba, Young Chewbacca and pre-plated C3PO that might have the hardest of hard core fan boys smug at their own cleverness in spotting these 'easter eggs', but really, standalone the whole thing dies.

The public isn't that fussy. They'll see prequels/sequels no matter how crappy the prior ones was. It's why the masses would rather go to McDonalds or Starbucks then take a chance with than little ethnic restaurant that just opened up on the corner.

Without the OT before it, the PT would have died a quick death. I'd be mocked as 'Babylon 5 for Stupid People'.

#4 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:54 PM

Well I guess you both have a point. Actually without the OT, any hopes of a movie like the Phantom Menace becoming successful would have been pretty much close to zero, people would have thought it was weird and unusual, but at the same time it would be a critical failure (the massive amount of gushers and gusher reviewers wouldn't exist to support it) and George Lucas would probably think twice about making sequels since it might wreck his reputation with the producers and the audiences.

BTW, Toru-Chan, just one minor comment about public opinion. It's actually different between nations. In America, people generally expect some cliches, stock characters and reusing old stuff in newer ways, but in some other nations like Japan and South Korea, the plot and material that is used in their games and movies is often unpredicatable and they're not as afraid to try new ideas.

This is why a lot of things get changed when they're translated from Japan into North America. Take the cartoon 'Samurai Pizza Cats', they altered so many thing when they translated it for North America viewing, to the extant that it was practically a spoof of the original. BTW, the villain who was clearly supposed to be gay had a lot of homosexual tendancies toned down for American viewing.

This post has been edited by Paladin: 15 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think it would have fared about as well as The Fifth Element. It would have been a kinda lame sci-fi movie with a small cult following of rabid fans.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:23 PM

...But I kinda liked the fifth element...

also,

Episode IV, V, and VI would have been made in the same style and writing and whatever as the previous ones where made?

Since we're talking about other sci fi films, let me quote Wing Commander:

"What you're saying outlines a nightmare scenario"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size