• « First

GTA IV - AUS ver Australian version is edited

#46 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Uszi @ May 10 2008, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I feel like there was a definite media bias against Hillary the whole election. Which really sucks.

If you want to talk about obvious media bias, look up Ron Paul. He was the one Republican candidate calling for a return to conservative values (low spending, keeping the government out of people's private business, gold standard instead of printing money out of thin air, immediate withdrawal from Iraq, etc.) and he was dismissed as a kook.

Admittedly, it does sound kind of strange when he said he would abolish the income tax (which was established in the 1890's for emergency war funding, so it isn't like we've been unable to live without it), but you don't need billions of dollars of income tax when you're not spending billions of dollars on unjust wars, bureaucratic nightmares and politician's padded pockets. The guy is an economic genius and John "100 more years in Iraq" McCain was basically given the nomination.

He was excluded from debates where he had more than fulfilled requirements. Anytime he was actually interviewed by a mainstream media source, they would ask him ridiculously biased questions like, "What are you going to do when you lose?"

I'm not hugely political, and maybe it's my anti-establishment instincts, but I voted for the guy partially because he made sense and partially because FOX news didn't want anyone to vote for him. He must be doing something right if Bill ORLY won't vote for him.

But I digress. It's a sore spot when you find a politician who mirrors your viewpoint and he is dismissed as crazy without being given a chance to speak.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#47 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (joshofalltrades @ May 12 2008, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to talk about obvious media bias, look up Ron Paul. He was the one Republican candidate calling for a return to conservative values (low spending, keeping the government out of people's private business, gold standard instead of printing money out of thin air, immediate withdrawal from Iraq, etc.) and he was dismissed as a kook.

Admittedly, it does sound kind of strange when he said he would abolish the income tax (which was established in the 1890's for emergency war funding, so it isn't like we've been unable to live without it), but you don't need billions of dollars of income tax when you're not spending billions of dollars on unjust wars, bureaucratic nightmares and politician's padded pockets. The guy is an economic genius and John "100 more years in Iraq" McCain was basically given the nomination.

He was excluded from debates where he had more than fulfilled requirements. Anytime he was actually interviewed by a mainstream media source, they would ask him ridiculously biased questions like, "What are you going to do when you lose?"

I'm not hugely political, and maybe it's my anti-establishment instincts, but I voted for the guy partially because he made sense and partially because FOX news didn't want anyone to vote for him. He must be doing something right if Bill ORLY won't vote for him.

But I digress. It's a sore spot when you find a politician who mirrors your viewpoint and he is dismissed as crazy without being given a chance to speak.

Yeah! I was actually really interested in Ron Paul last summer, when the initial debates were going on between the candidates. He seemed to be the only one who had a decent head on his shoulders. He also had really good answers/responses when he did finally get his chance to speak.

Your point on obvious media bias: Did you see the debate where Ron Paul basically said that past US foreign policy is responisible for Islamic Jihadits being mad at us? The moderator asked him something to the effect of, "Wait, you blame AMERICA for what happened on 911?!" and then Guilliani asked Ron Paul to apologize for the statement, to a large applause from the crowd.

I heard a rumor that said applause was actually enhanced by Fox for the home audiences, and that people at the debate claimed it wasn't that big a deal.

The point was, you are right, there was a HUGE bias against Ron Paul, especially in those initial debates, and a huge bias FOR Guilliani back then. McCain was way back stage, and I never pictured him getting the nomination.

I still won't forget when Hannity and Colmes were interviewing each debator afterwards, and Hannity wound up trying to shout Ron Paul down.

Er, but we continue to digress.

Do the Evolution!

#48 User is offline   Reklaimer Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:I like playing games, big TVs, playing games on big TVs and things with big explosions. Uh, that's about it. I kid. I spend most of my time incredibly bored and mostly enjoy sitting at my desk typing away long rambling sentences, much like this one, whenever I feel I've spent too much time on a particular game. As such, I intend on cracking my way into the gaming media, somehow.

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:12 PM

I'm certain I'm not the only person reading this who isn't American, so can we get back to the thread topic? ...you know, trying to figure out what's censored in the Australian & New Zealand versions of GTA?

Being British (and naturally with a British copy of the game), I think it'll be something to do with the executions or hookers. Basically, the executions are brutal (especially the one where blood gushes out of someone's eye) and the hookers actually climb on top of Niko in it. At least they do in the UK version, how about down under?

#49 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, the hooker scenes are very graphic. If you Australians don't have separate animations for hand jobs, blow jobs, and full on sex, then you were censored.

I was thinking that if it wasn't the whipping in the beginning, or the hookers, or the audio that plays when you do one of your girl friends, then maybe it was the nature of the blood splatters.

Ever shoot someone from the seat of a moped? For some reason the game thinks that this should result in an even bigger explosion of blood than if you were doing it on foot--as if the extra 25mph the bullet were traveling could turn damage from a 9mm into a .50 caliber round.
Do the Evolution!

#50 User is offline   McTalon Icon

• New Cop

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:04 AM

From what I've personally ascertained through comparison between my copy and my import copy, the changes I've noticed are thus

- Less blood spatter, that's not to say there's none but it seems toned down

- No wounds, the bullet wounds and aesthetic representations of damage that were shown in the trailer are non-exsistant in the Aussie version, I haven't tried it in my import yet, stay tuned.

- When using a prostitute, the camera locks on the rear bumper of the car a la San Andreas. It cannot be moved

that's it, the executions are the same, the cut scenes are the same. (yes including the guy getting Dom in the intro)

#51 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (McTalon @ May 13 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I've personally ascertained through comparison between my copy and my import copy, the changes I've noticed are thus

- No wounds, the bullet wounds and aesthetic representations of damage that were shown in the trailer are non-exsistant in the Aussie version, I haven't tried it in my import yet, stay tuned.

- When using a prostitute, the camera locks on the rear bumper of the car a la San Andreas. It cannot be moved

that's it, the executions are the same, the cut scenes are the same. (yes including the guy getting Dom in the intro)

Doesn't seem much different from the original. Surely the main features are there just like the other versions.

#52 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (McTalon @ May 13 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The prostitute thing is different then. You definitely have a free camera here in the States.

I think the blood splatters would be a subtle issue to detect. I'd pay attention to whether or not I was inventing the difference, you know?

The wound animations are taken out? That's one of the things that are frighteningly realistic about the current game... I always feel a little sick hunting down one of my victims if they managed to limp away from me. That... doesn't stop me from hunting them down, but I have much more empathy for those in GTA IV than I did in San Andreas, where people shrugged off shots to the chest.
Do the Evolution!

#53 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

Do the cops continue to shoot you 5 minutes after you're dead and say stuff like "I hope he was guilty"?

#54 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Dr Lecter @ May 13 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do the cops continue to shoot you 5 minutes after you're dead and say stuff like "I hope he was guilty"?

Good old GTA humor.

I love the talk shows.

#55 User is offline   Reklaimer Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:I like playing games, big TVs, playing games on big TVs and things with big explosions. Uh, that's about it. I kid. I spend most of my time incredibly bored and mostly enjoy sitting at my desk typing away long rambling sentences, much like this one, whenever I feel I've spent too much time on a particular game. As such, I intend on cracking my way into the gaming media, somehow.

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

It'll be the hooker thing then, I guess. Even in the UK version you can move the camera around completely freely and see the, um, animations. [shuffle shuffle]

#56 User is offline   Uszi Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Reklaimer @ May 13 2008, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'll be the hooker thing then, I guess. Even in the UK version you can move the camera around completely freely and see the, um, animations. [shuffle shuffle]

::Shuffle shuffle:: about accurately describes it.
Do the Evolution!

#57 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

The hookers lines are just so funny. Don't even try to sound like they're enjoying themselves.

#58 User is offline   Game Over Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:16 AM

QUOTE (Dr Lecter @ May 14 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hookers lines are just so funny. Don't even try to sound like they're enjoying themselves.

Now, that sounds more realistic.

#59 User is offline   joshofalltrades Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

No need for a new topic, I think.
My Let's Play of I Wanna Be The Guy! Do you have the balls?

--------------------------------------------
The Queen's own English, base knave, dost thou speak it?

#60 User is offline   ren128 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:34 PM

God, the "maybe they took the wrong turn to the realism" and the GTA:london reference were hilarious.

At last, back to the videogames...

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size