• (3 Pages)
  • +

Hobbies: what do you collect? past & present personal collections

#16 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Yeah, the moneys a huge bugbear with Games Workshop.Their models may be good (although they're slipping these days more than a little), financially they are the wargaming equivilant of rough prison sex. I get everything I need off eBay these days biggrin.gif
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#17 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hmmm... I don't think I really collect anything... Maybe you could say that I collect credit card offers, but that's only because I don't have a paper shredder and I don't like to just throw them away normally.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#18 User is offline   CityofHowls Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:49 PM

I collect a mixture of super nintendo games, japanese animation movies, warhammer, magic the gathering cards and pretty much anything off toadandtroll.com website. Thanks to all of these i have no money what-so-ever at the moment. Funny how all the stuff you want becomes in your reach when your broke....it really sucks. oh well teach me to have interest in anything, haha.

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

My hobbies are in my signature.

#20 User is offline   Fortissimo Icon

• New Cop

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

I collect action figures, comic books, films, and oddly enough old pennies.

This post has been edited by Fortissimo: 04 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

#21 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (BigStupidDogFacedArse @ Mar 5 2008, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Collecting is a sickness of the brain. I suffered from it back when I bought comics and sporting cards. One day I realized it's all worthless (regardless of beckett pricing) and not worth storing.

i wish i was impaired with the illness of not opening any of my Transformers toys in the 1980's, and just collecting them sealed in the box

have you taken the time to see how much a mint sealed-in-the-box optimus prime (circa 1984) is going for on ebay?

$$$$$$$$$$$

well,..heres a link for what omega supreme is going for

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

This post has been edited by mireaux7: 05 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#22 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Good memories... staring a box which contain a plastic representation of what's printed on the front. Those were the days of my youth.

Nah, I'll stick with feverishly opening my Christmas gift rather than saving it so a 30 something can try and buy back his childhood years later.

#23 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

I collect cute girls' phone numbers.

Much like action figures I've found they're retain value only if I don't use them.

#24 User is offline   AccessDenied Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:21 PM

I collect old short wave receivers, like the Zenith Transoceanic Royal 7000, Hammerlund, old Murphys but they were potatoes mostly. My other love is Cranberry glass like old silver-topped perfume bottles. Oh - and Macallan. But I drink that.

AD

This post has been edited by AccessDenied: 22 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

#25 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:37 AM

Also...

souls.

#26 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:23 AM

When I was younger, I collected G.I. Joes (3 3/4"), Muscle Men figures, and Legos mainly. Got into Hotwheels and cars for a little bit, along with the first run of Ninja Turtle toys.

Then I continued with Lego even past 18 until Gundam got big in the U.S. I blew too much money on Gundam model kits, anime, ToyFare magazine, Stikfas, and Star Wars figures.

All of the sudden one day when I was 22, I threw a lot of recent stuff (Gundam, SW, Toyfare) away and started working out like a madman, training with a sword, smashing game consoles with my bare hands, and cutting off ties with friends.

I saved money after all that and enjoyed good food. No toy or object takes the place of a good meal, especially after a bad day.

#27 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

I collect coats, ties, pants, and suits.

They're expensive, so it's a small collection.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#28 User is offline   BigStupidDogFacedArse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:09 PM

i wish i was impaired with the illness of not opening any of my Transformers toys in the 1980's, and just collecting them sealed in the box

have you taken the time to see how much a mint sealed-in-the-box optimus prime (circa 1984) is going for on ebay?

$$$$$$$$$$$

well,..heres a link for what omega supreme is going for

No, you don't wish that. I know people like that. Buying toys and playing with them serves a purpose, I'm sure you had a great time transforming robots into cars as a child. Any serious collector of any field: be it records, stamps, coins, comics, cards, etc.. will tell you they DON'T EVER TURN A PROFIT. You end up spending much more money, and time, trying to build up your collection. Collectors don't sell they stock pile. Some times they clue in and sell their stock. They may open up a store or do it privately. My friend’s dad suffered from this illness, he has 8,000 vinyl records. The guy spend a good chunk of change on a missing Smiths 7" single and one of the few thousand U2 album covers that was manufactured with the wrong color.

He never enjoyed the music, but he did feel the urge to surround himself with all the rare jewels which can take a life time to acquire. He built a temperature-controlled environment, equiped with a humidifier and a specialized lighting system. More money out the pocket for the sake of simply storing records which he never listens too. This is not normal and he's the first to admit it. No serious collector will deny that they're suffering from a sick fetish, which is both time consuming and expensive.

Of course, these are extreme cases. But all collections start with a mild form of obsessive compulsive disorder and it only grows larger as you pursue it. I've obtained roughly 600 comics in my time.

I own:

-entire 1980 series of Wolverine
-Venom's first appearance along with the entire funeral pyre series
-Punisher vs the French foreign legion
-a slew of number 1 comics, everything from the short lived Sonic the hedgehog line to the resurgence of the Cat woman series in the mid 90s
-almost all the uncanny xmen issues
-entire ninja turtles comic line from the 80s
-entire collection of Groo the wanderer comics

I can't even remember what I own; I had a thing for collecting failed series. I could tell which comics would end after a few issues; I snatched them up fast since they'd have the least amount of prints (and fans). I never read these comics mind you, I didn't want to break the binding or dog ear the corners. Currently, I have no clue what my collection is worth, and frankly it doesn't matter. I don't think I could bring myself to selling it. And here in lies the sickness. So, my comics sit in a few tightly sealed boxes, were they've remained for many years. I could never sell the wolverine series because it can only go further up in price (it has done so since I purchased them all and shot way up after the xmen films). So in the end you keep holding on to it like some fiend, basking in it's ever increasing value.

This post has been edited by BigStupidDogFacedArse: 20 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

#29 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (BigStupidDogFacedArse @ Jun 20 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of course, these are extreme cases. But all collections start with a mild form of obsessive compulsive disorder and it only grows larger as you pursue it... ...So in the end you keep holding on to it like some fiend, basking in it's ever increasing value.

Exactly! And well said! This is why I destroyed and threw a lot of my junk away. As stated in Fight Club by Tyler Durden, "What you own, ends up owning you."

Like I said, enjoy good food.

#30 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:55 AM

All of the sudden one day when I was 22, I threw a lot of recent stuff (Gundam, SW, Toyfare) away and started working out like a madman, training with a sword, smashing game consoles with my bare hands, and cutting off ties with friends.

Ah....... so, how's being crazy going for you?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size