• +

Jar Jar Binks We hardly knew ye...

#1 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

Too funny to pass up:

"Rumors as to a depiction of his ultimate fate (or rather, lack thereof) proliferated when the 2004 DVD version of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi was released, featuring a newly added shot of Naboo in the celebration montage featuring a distant Gungan standing atop a pillar who shouts "Wesa free!" exactly 2 hours, 5 minutes, 49 seconds into the movie. The official Star Wars website's character databank file on Jar Jar, however, does not list Return of the Jedi as one of his appearances, while Gungans are listed, suggesting that a conscious distinction may have been made.

This topic of disagreement, however, within fandom has been largely put to rest recently as George Lucas has personally stated that the Gungan in question is not Jar Jar. He has also debunked the rumor that Jar Jar perished on Alderaan when it was destroyed by the Death Star in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. The most recent claim is that Jar Jar returned to Coruscant and served in the Imperial Senate and eventually settled down with a family, presumably dying of old age.

Another possible fate can be found in Star Wars Battlefront II. At the start of the Rise of the Empire campaign mission on Naboo, the retired clone trooper states that several of Naboo's ambassadors were sent home in various states of dismemberment. Since Jar Jar was a senator of Naboo, it is possible that Jar Jar was one of the ambassadors who were dismembered."

I just love how Georgie Boy gets so uptight about Binks. The bashers just want to see him dead and Lucas tries so hard to maintain Binks' legitimacy.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#2 User is offline   TheOrator Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:49 PM

As much as I feel counting games as canon in a film franchise is stupid, I do so hope his fate was the last one.

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo)
The official Star Wars website's character databank file on Jar Jar, however, does not list Return of the Jedi as one of his appearances, while Gungans are listed, suggesting that a conscious distinction may have been made.

And since the internet never lies, we know this to be fact.

So STFU George.
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubble gum."
-John Carpenter's They Live

"God help us...in the future."
-Plan 9 from Outer Space

nooooo

#3 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:41 PM

I remember reading a fan fic once involving Jar-Jar. I cheered aloud when, in the story, he dropped dead. tongue.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#4 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Aug 1 2007, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another possible fate can be found in Star Wars Battlefront II. At the start of the Rise of the Empire campaign mission on Naboo, the retired clone trooper states that several of Naboo's ambassadors were sent home in various states of dismemberment. Since Jar Jar was a senator of Naboo, it is possible that Jar Jar was one of the ambassadors who were dismembered."

Battlefront I is a pretty simple game, FPS with no strategy and every unit acting in isolation, but it's a good ole blast too. I like the Naboo scenarios, and the way the Jar Jarites say stupid lines as you shoot them. Makes me wonder if someone at Lucasarts wasn't smiling mischievously as they coded that. ;-)

QUOTE (georgelucas4greedo @ Aug 1 2007, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just love how Georgie Boy gets so uptight about Binks. The bashers just want to see him dead and Lucas tries so hard to maintain Binks' legitimacy.

Me too. Read George blamed 30-something ex-fan boys and the Internet for poor, unappreciated Jar Jars crusifiction (oh my what a mental image I just had!)

#5 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:08 AM

You know, I liked Battlefront I, too, but Battlefront II was pretty kickass, as well. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#6 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:31 AM

You know all this speak of Jar Jar makes me wonder what happened to Naboo? In the PT, I got the impression that it was the New York or California of the Galactic Senate, but we dont hear shit about it ever again.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:23 PM

geez... why does anyone care?

There's a domestic dispute option on the BATTLEFRONT 2 instant action section, where you can just hunt natives of the planet you select. Hunting gungans was fucking awsome. We did it for like an hour.

Jawas vs Sandpeople was cool too, and huntiong ewoks was sweet, sweet justice.

#8 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Aug 3 2007, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a domestic dispute option on the BATTLEFRONT 2 instant action section, where you can just hunt natives of the planet you select. Hunting gungans was fucking awsome. We did it for like an hour. Jawas vs Sandpeople was cool too, and huntiong ewoks was sweet, sweet justice.

Way cool, Barend! After reading that, I ordered Battlefront 2. Really! You just gave me five good reasons (Gungans, Gungans, Gungans, Gungans and Ewoks), one ambivalent (as far as ragged, alien midgets Jawas were alright) and only one anti-reason (Killing Sandpeople? Ugh. What sort of a sick bastard could even dream up the idea of hunting Sandpeople?) ;-)

#9 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

I tried hunting Gungans, but they're damned tricky little blighters. Took me ages to kill them all. sleep.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (Toru-chan @ Aug 2 2007, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Way cool, Barend! After reading that, I ordered Battlefront 2. Really! You just gave me five good reasons (Gungans, Gungans, Gungans, Gungans and Ewoks), one ambivalent (as far as ragged, alien midgets Jawas were alright) and only one anti-reason (Killing Sandpeople? Ugh. What sort of a sick bastard could even dream up the idea of hunting Sandpeople?) ;-)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love jawas.

I also love hunting jawas.

It also gives people the mega shits if they choose sandpeople and you choose jawas and keep taking them out.

#11 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

laugh.gif

Yeah, that's hilarious... biggrin.gif

Personally, I like killing Ewoks, myself. wink.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

While hunting Gungans my friend launched a rocket at a door way I Was running towards from a flanking position in a corridor.

As I ran (I like to charge and shoot) to the door up on the left towards two or three gungans there was a huge firey ball of death and a gungan who had just run out the door got blasted backwards through the air with his ears flopping about it was the funniest thing ever. I fell on the floor laughing so hard it hurt.

#13 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:32 PM

Gungan genocide! Yummy... tongue.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

#14 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:40 AM

Battlefront 2 has arrived! I've played BF1 so much I'm disgustingly good at it. There are much better games out there of course, but I have to think for those. Like Total War Medieval: Fantastic. Epic. You're in charge of 30,000 men. Who needs that kind of pressure? I did look at Empire at War too, but it looked like too much like work.

With BF1 I can turn off my brain, a bit like Lucas does when he wrote the PT scripts, and "sleep fight". Because the other Stormtroopers/Clonetroopers completely ignore me (apart from the medics throwing me the odd first aid) I ignore them too. No guilt for shirking responsibility or breaking my fraternal bonds, because there are none.They do have six canned lines "I need cover fire", but these don't fool me into thinking they're real people. 'Ok. We've spent 2 years writing this game. Now lets spend 30 minutes in the recording booth and we're done'. Ben Burt must be rolling in his grave. (Hey Ben, if you're reading this, you better look behind you...

QUOTE (barend @ Aug 16 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
a gungan who had just run out the door got blasted backwards through the air with his ears flopping about it was the funniest thing ever. I fell on the floor laughing so hard it hurt.

Too bad the modders never wrote crispy-and-charred hacks for BF. Heh heh.

I guess Gungan ears are like chicken wings. Crispy, and best served with Salsa.

Roast Jawas with rosemary.

Jabba the Hutt Rinds.

Mynock Nuggets.

Wookie Mountain Oysters.

#15 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:49 AM

Rodian Roasted Antennae. biggrin.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born

--Ian Fleming

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size