• +
  • Last »

Ben Croshaw to be deleted Wikipedia admin on a rampage

#1 User is offline   m0ds Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:42 AM

Just learnt of this at the AGS forums, and it appears Yahtzee's page and Trilby's Notes pages are being considered for deletion. An admin has been going on a rampage and is trying to get the majority of articles relating to freeware adventure games deleted. His website can be found at:
http://www.andrewfader.com/

I don't quite understand the process to stop it, and hurling abuse certainly won't help - but if you understand Wikipedia and how it works, why not go help save them? smile.gif

Ben's page
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Ben_Croshaw

The AGS news about this
http://new.bigbluecu...p?topic=29391.0

m0ds

#2 User is offline   HMC Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 02:52 PM

There seriously needs to be a name to refer to the whole 5 Notes a Skeptic series, because it sort of bothers me when people fill in the blanks with conjectural fanwankery like 'The John DeFoe Series' or crap like that.

#3 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:None of your business.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:36 PM

Yeah, but the issue we're facing now is that some arsehole, who is a moderator of Wikipedia, is apparently jealous of people who can make good shit, so he decides to delete stuff and comes up with stupid explainations for it. So we're supposed to protest against this trend of events somehow, as it affects not only Yahtzee but everything that's related to AGS games.

EDIT: Anyone checked out this guy's webcomic yet? I know we're not supposed to personally attack him, but this deserves a huuuge LOL, as he seems very proud of all that shitheap he makes.

EDIT No. 2: Does anyone else think that people who say shit like "I am an administrator (meaning I can block users and delete pages) on several Wikis" should NOT be administrators (meaning they can block users and delete pages) on several Wikis? sleep.gif

This post has been edited by David-kyo: 11 December 2006 - 03:45 PM

#4 User is offline   Dan_N_GameZ Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Red Dwarf, AGS, programming in VB, Yahtzee etc.

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:42 PM

ohmy.gif Good... mercifull... God... no.

I say we stalk him, kidnap him while he sleeps, then get him into an underground bunker or something, where we hire a quite huge man to brutaly rape him!

Who's with me?
"Once upon a time, musta been 'round October, few years back, in one o' dose TOP SECRET LAB-MOTORIES de gubbnint keep stashed away underneath Virginia, an EVIL PRINCE, occasion'ly employed as a part-time THEATRICAL CRITICIZER set to woikin' on a plot fo de systematic GENOCIDICAL REMOVE'LANCE of all unwanted highly-rhythmic individj'lls an' sissy-boys!" (Prologue, Thing-Fish)

Quoting other forumers in your signature seems to be the latest craze around here...

My Last.FM profile.

#5 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:47 PM

Guess we can fantasize, but what really needs to be done is to make the big fuckers at Wikipedia campus see what a low-down bastard admin they have among their ranks.

#6 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

They say Wikipedia is a "free encyclopedia that anyone can edit" but the deleting posts for the sake of it and by opinion that anybody else can't is the acting of a dictator. As if Wikipedia is his home and he can do what he wants. Unless I am not seeing good reasons for deletion.

Well it shows his name is trying to speak for his actions. Trying to fade away other people's work. Isn't it time he should be fading away?

This post has been edited by Deepsycher: 11 December 2006 - 04:10 PM

#7 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, he should live up to his name (Andrew Fader). Huh huh.

#8 User is offline   MikeS619 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

Man, I am EXTREMELY glad I copied the 5DAS, 7DAS, and Notes articles to the AGS wiki.

#9 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:22 PM

I don't really think Yahtzee gives a shit to be quite honest. Neither do I, except to point out the guy's hypocrisy about notability when his own company's article isn't notable.

EDIT No. 2: Does anyone else think that people who say shit like "I am an administrator (meaning I can block users and delete pages) on several Wikis" should NOT be administrators (meaning they can block users and delete pages) on several Wikis?

Yeah, I really don't understand why Wikipedia keeps purporting administrators to be "just like you guys but with more responsibility! If anything they have a bigger mop!! LOL" when in fact as soon as they are granted powers they go completely saddo tosser and devote the rest of their lives to blocking and reverting vandalism etc. and, in fact, acting like kings.

#10 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:28 PM

Did you watch his stand up comedy routines? Total crap. This POS's full of himself.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#11 User is offline   CJ Marren Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Wrestling, games, books, music, working out,

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:37 PM

On a related note, the bastards are also deleting a load of indy wrestlers' (including myself!) wiki articles, also due to being 'non-notable'.

Any reason Wikipedia is doing all this now?
<!--quoteo(post=174818:date=Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM:name=Cobnat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobnat @ Oct 14 2007, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=174818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Microsoft Sans Serif--><span style="font-family:Microsoft Sans Serif"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Lets all have sex with robots until our groins are sore and bloody!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=169306:date=Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Aug 10 2007, 11:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=169306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:#483D8B--><span style="color:#483D8B"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->So why the unholy flying purple donkeypunching fuck will it not work on yours? Just what kind of machine are you running there? Your toaster?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And the man again!
<!--quoteo(post=180859:date=Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM:name=Legion)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Legion @ Jan 16 2008, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=180859"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's saying, fuck the lightsabers and special effects and fuck your voiceovers and fuck your stupid multimilliondollar game studios; you don't need any of those to make brilliant and scary games that will fuck with your head.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->My Getting Huge Progress (Gym and weight gain diet)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></u>
<b>May '07:</b> 11st (154lbs)
<b>August '07:</b> 12st 7lbs (175lbs)
<b>November '07:</b> 12st 9lbs (177lbs)
<b>December '07:</b> 12st 11lbs (179lbs)
<b>January '08:</b> 12st 12lbs (180lbs)
<b>Febuary '08:</b> 13st 2lbs (184lbs)
<b>March '08:</b> 13st 7lbs (189lbs)

#12 User is offline   David-kyo Icon

• Goatboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (AdamM @ Dec 11 2006, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't really think Yahtzee gives a shit to be quite honest. Neither do I, except to point out the guy's hypocrisy about notability when his own company's article isn't notable.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been meaning to ask before. He did mind when JackDark (or whatever his name was) posted some shit about the music in TN. But I guess it's one less problem for him if the page becomes non-existent (is it?). However, the reason we should still do something about this is that it's not only Yahtzee who's affected by this asshole's rampage, but a lot of other freeware game-makers, who, perhaps, do give a shit if their page gets deleted.

#13 User is offline   MikeS619 Icon

• New Cop

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:23 AM

Wikipedia started as a free encyclopedia, with more info than a normal one. Info on things that were unknown to published encyclopedias. Now it's turning into a normal encyclopedia, it's completely ruining what made it so good.

UPDATE: THE 7 DAYS A SKEPTIC ARTICLE HAS BEEN DELETED! WE MUST FIND SOURCES (wtf?) TO RE-CREATE IT!

#14 User is offline   Blueskirt Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Guarding pies

Posted 13 December 2006 - 11:57 AM

I too am under the impression Yahtzee didn't cared that much about the Wikipedia entry and saw it more like over fanboyism or something similar.

Not to play the devil's advocate there, but while I think some of these articles deserve to be on wikipedia, I do find some to be kinda redundants. All of Yahtzee's games entries could easily be put in one single article about Yahtzee. Same for Dave Gilbert's games which could easily be both in his entry. There are some that do deserve to be deleted since it's simply nothing but pimping or because it's simply not notable enough in the amateur adventure game community, let alone the AGS community, thus don't have their place on wikipedia.

It's good to see that while the guy seems to be full of himself on his website, he is at least consistent to vote "Delete" on his own wikipedia article.

#15 User is offline   AdamM Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

Hardy hardy hah. Less than a day after I pointed it out, Mr. Fader's company's article is up for deletion, and racking in the votes. To be fair to him though he's recognised it's crap and has voted to delete as well, so at least he's consistent in his application of the rules on Wikipedia.

EDIT: Ohhhh, is that what the above post was referring to? Er, sorry. I made a nearly identical comment as well. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by AdamM: 13 December 2006 - 07:56 PM

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size