Chefelf.com Night Life: got my originals DVDs - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

got my originals DVDs christ... what a package!

#46 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:08 PM

Looks like a win-win situation.

#47 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

yeah... i watched SW and ESB last night with friends...

we had forgotten how funny they are. there's some great humour in there. and the character mix: the young knight-to-be, the princess, the wizard, the cowboy-mercenary, etc. such a winning combination.

but mostly, C3P0 with dignity. he's funny without being annoying. annoying to the other characters, but not to us.

especially with the walking across the room to see liea kissing luke.
that's gold.

and the only way i'm touching the 30th anv. is with a SW:OT uncut with all the biggs scenes put back in.

#48 User is offline   Smashman Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

I probably won't buy them until they are ANAMORPHIC widescreen.

The O-OT that is. wink.gif

#49 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Smashman @ Sep 18 2006, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I probably won't buy them until they are ANAMORPHIC widescreen.

The O-OT that is. wink.gif

Some fans are already working on it. Some are saying it wouldn't be worthwhile, because the quality would be the same as zooming it with your TV (no better), however it WOULD be of benefit because they could do it such that the subtitles were not chopped off like they are now for people.

#50 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:35 AM

the subtitle thing doesn't bother me...

i know what greedo is saying, i know what bib-fortuna and jabba are saying, also the dancing twilik.

its funny that the only four characters to have subtitles all get killed pretty quickly (resulting in them not saying much at all). although i don't remember seeing bib buy it, but i assume he was either killed in the exploding main skiff or died of heat exhaustion trying to walk back to the palace.

ontop of which relying on conversational resonses to understand R2D2 and Chewbacca, and having no idea what the ewoks, jawas, bespin pigmen, Mos Eisley cantina regulars, serveral droids, bossk, and others are saying, remembering like six lines of dialogue doesn't relly seem like much of a chore to me.

This post has been edited by barend: 18 September 2006 - 01:37 AM

#51 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:49 AM

That's the spirit! I bet if half the movie was blackness you'd say "it's no problem, I remember exactly what happened, and I can make do with shadow puppets on this screen here... *starts doing shadow puppets*

(actually imagining that being done straight is pretty hilarious, hope you don't mind!)

i know what greedo is saying, i know what bib-fortuna and jabba are saying, also the dancing twilik.

Her sayings aren't subtitled, so if you know what she's saying, you sir, are a far greater nerd than I. A true Geek of Geeks! wink.gif

Actually now that I think about it, the only characters I remember being subtitled in the OT are Greedo, Jabba, Bib Fortuna and "Boussh" (yah-tay yah-tay you-too means a lot! also she orders a "Zima" right after the thermal detonator schtick). Just thank Lucas we didn't get "Jedi Rocks" lyrical translation! (don't worry, it'll be in the next edition, right?). wink.gif

This post has been edited by KurganX: 18 September 2006 - 01:52 AM

#52 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:20 PM

i just watched ROTJ last night... having completed and refreshing the set in mind now, there's no way i can take seriously the PT as cannon.

everything said, utterly contradicts everything you see in the PT. it's great, the PT no longer bothers me because it's absurdety is now so utterly complete that you can't help but ignore its existance.

as for kurgs, i was just making a point.

there's a small handful of subtitles, i meant to add the twilik bitch to the other list of guess what they're saying when i added it in at the end of typing... sue me.

everything else is translated in jabbas palace....

between Bibs: "aldsk'jfhlsa`kjdf5hlkaj~sdfh he's no jedi" and C3P0s: "nootch Vader, kkkkkk pah kkkk pah" i got it sorted.

as for the twelik bit that's pretty easy:

Jabba: "alright, enough dancing Jabba wants some lovin'"
Twelik: "bleeech no friggen way. lemme go, you disgusting leathery slug!"
Jabba: "That really hurts my feelings, now get over over here and stroke my... er... well, just rummage through my sweaty folds."
Twelik: "oh christ, i just threw up in my mouth and swallowed it again."
Jabba: "LOVE ME!!!"
Twelik: "over my dead body"
Jabba: "fine, as you wish."

its pretty obvious really...

QUOTE (KurganX @ Sep 18 2006, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's the spirit! I bet if half the movie was blackness you'd say "it's no problem, I remember exactly what happened, and I can make do with shadow puppets on this screen here... *starts doing shadow puppets*

the rest of your life is about to become blackness...

This post has been edited by barend: 18 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

#53 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:30 AM

Okay, my copies of the new "Limited Edition" DVDs have arrived. I've only checked out the original Star Wars so far, but let me give you a few preliminary comments to those who are curious (and this is about the second disc, I don't really care about the first):

These are slightly better quality (color and resolution wise) than the LaserDisc bootlegs I've seen, but only slightly.

Actually, quality wise, this reminds me a LOT of the 2001 release of The Phantom Menace.

There's film grain, but that's fine by me. You can see some pixelation on the edges of some diagonal lines here and there, but overall it looks fantastic.

It's a real shame they didn't include anamorphic widescreen (TPM even had it).

The sound is great (but again, I wish there was a Mono or 5.1 track for the full range of versions we saw in the theaters).

The new "old" opening crawl is higher res than the one in later revisions of Star Wars, much like the ones that appeared in fan edits, but it looks great and I am glad it's back. The "planet" (a moon of Tatooine actually) does look different than the laser disc pics, so I guess that's been altered (probably back in 1993), but beyond that it looks pretty much how it's supposed to.

The most striking thing about these versions are the colors. Unlike the 2004 editions that give us lightsabers that change colors in the same scene and all kinds of craziness (red, blue, yellow, and even green filters over certain shots). That was one thing I'm finally glad to be done with in the theatrical editions. Too bad they didn't bother to fix the 2004 SE's here.

The sound track sounds to be like the pre-THX Enhanced ones, with the proper lines where they should be, and the ones left out that were added to later releases. Yes, Chewie growls at the mouse droid, no comical "close the blast doors" before they are ordered to be opened, etc...

I don't have an Xbox, and I really could care less about LEGO Star Wars II, but the trailer is kind of amusing (if low res). Very cartoony looking game, and very kiddie friendly (I played the demo of the first LEGO Star Wars, it reminded me of the Phantom Menace PC game, though with some more human and lego style graphics, and many more secrets, plus the 2 player option if you have two people crowded around the same computer).

No other special features. The menu was kinda cool (the menus aren't animated, but there's a neat opening animated sequence, and they even dared to put in a THX "Optimizer" test).

The disc cover of the 2004 edition is slightly changed, but otherwise it's the same as before.

I ordered the Wal-Mart packages (I thought the comics looked cool and were worth paying more for than a "collector's tin"), so they came with graphic novels. Each amray case + graphic novel came in a cardboard box, which were slightly beat up, but they were of cheap cardboard, much like what was used to package the 2004 sets (very thin, shiny, but wobbly, certainly not very display worthy).

Yes, they are brand new reprinted collections of the old comics from the 1980's (each "issue" is all of the movie comics in one volume, so they are edited to remove the "titles" between each one so it reads like one long story, and the colors seem different than the one comic I owned back in the day... which though faded, for example, showed Luke with a red lightsaber, rather than blue as it now stands to match the movie, as he trained on the Falcon). This Star Wars graphic novel was actually released as a full volume with a different cover awhile back (the new cover is a copy of the cover of the first issue of the original comic... the old version was called "Classic Star Wars: A New Hope" and I forget the cover, but it was different, the internal content is the same as that version). The ESB one I'd seen as a "comics digest" version before, but this is the same size as the other two (a "trade paperback" slim volume type of deal, I am not that much of a comics junkie, but I think that's the right term).

The ROTJ comic I had never actually read before, so it was cool to get that.

Yes, these sets could be "so much more." I don't think fans are out of line to complain. Of course they do look fantastic. Had these come out in 1997, they would have been hailed as the best thing ever. But this is 2006!

Anyway, more later if I have time or remember.

Jabba: "That really hurts my feelings, now get over over here and stroke my... er... well, just rummage through my sweaty folds."

Golden!

the rest of your life is about to become blackness..

Oh, you're going down, soldier-boy!

#54 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:45 AM

bring it...

i had the revenge of the jedi comic, back ini the day...

man that thing was all over the place...

it had the liea: 'what is it?' ; luke: 'ask me again sometime' exchange on the sail barge for some reason... WTF? eh.

#55 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 19 2006, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i just watched ROTJ last night... having completed and refreshing the set in mind now, there's no way i can take seriously the PT as cannon.

everything said, utterly contradicts everything you see in the PT. it's great, the PT no longer bothers me because it's absurdety is now so utterly complete that you can't help but ignore its existance.

I came to that conclusion years ago. cool.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#56 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 19 2006, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bring it...

This Saturday, 69.180.215.175, 6pm Central time, Mysteries of the Sith. Be there (or be square)!

wink.gif

Imagine the pain and suffering of a full length audio commentary of the SWHS by Jar Jar Binks...!

#57 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Sep 19 2006, 11:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This Saturday, 69.180.215.175, 6pm Central time, Mysteries of the Sith. Be there (or be square)!

i think you mean 'be there AND be square'

#58 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ Sep 19 2006, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I came to that conclusion years ago. cool.gif

oh for sure...

but now i don't have to even worry about what anyone thinks, because all i have to do is say "sit down and watch, ass clown!" and unravel their sad little arguments with no effort at all...

anikan ages 30 years in 18, and obniwan 40. gushers be damned with their "i just watched all six in a row, and they flowed" bullshit.

there are only three movies. because nothing obiwan says is even slightly reflected in the prequels... so gushers can shove their 'it's easier to believe that obiwans a liar than admit an idiot' attitude up their terminal virgin asses.

and the PT can now take it's rightfull place between Crow 2 and star trek voyager.... in vacuumous penny pinching misinterpereted franchise exploiting hell!!!

PT, SW comixs, EU, all that shit.... is for nerds who just don't get it. SW the OT is just a little trillogy of films that now again be for regular guys who like a bit of action, and some cool concepts, with a bit og humour thrown in.

aslo KOTOR and battlefront are awsome too...

but that's it. burn the rest...

#59 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 19 2006, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it had the liea: 'what is it?' ; luke: 'ask me again sometime' exchange on the sail barge for some reason... WTF? eh.

Clearly, Luke is a card carrying member of the Physic Friends Network.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#60 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:10 PM

Did you mean "Psychic?"

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size