Chefelf.com Night Life: Padme Thinks Her Genocidal Boyfriend Is Hot - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Padme Thinks Her Genocidal Boyfriend Is Hot Hence, no quarrel with him wiping out the Sandpeople

#1 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

Yeah, yeah, I know, they put his mom on the rack and killed her, but when he told Padme he wiped out all the Sandpeople (well, the ones he was able to wipe out) and take out the women and children in addition to0 feeling good, Padme doesn't bat an eyelash, kinda like when he took out the younglings but could have gone back to the good guys since he was "a good person". Odd how the wiping out of an entire class of beings doesn't raise her suspicion, even when she was wearing the Bea Arthur outfit.

#2 User is offline   Karig Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 29 August 2006 - 01:42 PM

Yep. Yet another in a long line of scenes that just don't ring true. After Anakin growls out with quivering lips about how he went after the Sandpeople, including the women and children, and how he HATES them, this little incident is never brought up again and does not seem to have made Padme wonder at all about this teenager who seems to have a puppy-love crush on her. No sign whatever that Padme wonders if Anakin isn't losing it or hasn't lost it already.

(And that scene takes place, what, maybe a week or month or so after they meet again on Coruscant? And ten years before that, she knew him as a little boy for what, another week or so? Well gee, maybe that's why Padme doesn't react -- she really knows Anakin so well at this point!)

And Shmi manages to stay alive in the captivity of the Sandpeople for a month, and then just happens to die about 45 seconds after Anakin finds her.

I could probably recall more bits like this, but I'll stop for now. wacko.gif

#3 User is offline   Vesuvius Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

Bah! That kid! Anakin was such a dork in this film. I liked him more in ROTS but that isn't saying a whole lot. You'd think that with nine or ten years of Jedi training in his life, he'd be able to control himself in a more rational way. Even two years of a strict Jedi lifestyle would do something for this kids instabilities. And where did he get these instabilities anyway? It's not like he was raised around other "younglings" that all act like total a-holes! Obi-wan doesn't act like that, Yoda doesn't act like that, not even BMF Mace Windu acts like that. All I can say is maybe if Qui-gon trained Anakin, some things would be different, like:

If Anakin whines, he gets whacked on the top of the head with a bamboo stick.
If Anakin remembers his mom or Padme and starts "missing" them, he takes bamboo stick to the shins!
If Anakin is caught messing up the bathrooms, Qui-gon makes him clean all the bathrooms with his bare hands, no force powers allowed.
If Anakin is staring down some Twilek, Rodian, or any chick for that matter, he gets smacked accross the head.
(add more of these if you wish, it's funny)

That kid needed severe discipline for "A tough life of a Jedi." It must not be tough enough. Or Obi-wan is far too careless.

#4 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Chicks dig genocidal maniacs. It's a de facto fact!

#5 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:36 PM

That WAS pretty suspicious, especially given as Padme is from a "pacifist" world, which was reeling from a near genocidal attack itself!

She doesn't react AT ALL. If someone told me he had just slaughtered an entire group of people, including (non-combatant) women and children, that he wasn't sorry, and in fact, ENJOYED IT or was GLAD he had done it, I would have waited until his back was turned, and blown his motherf&*%ing head off, pacifist or NOT.

Was he using the Jedi Mind Trick on her? Was she not paying attention at all? Of course, given the level of acting "skill" in this movie, he could have said something like, "Mommy's dead, hug me." but they dubbed in the lines we heard him whining later.

Please DON'T make me watch this movie, and see if his lips are moving to another line, but saying this! wacko.gif

The PT stands as further proof that GL lost his mind completely.

#6 User is offline   MyPantsAreOnFire Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

Outside of her fake, high school play-level crying in ROTS, when did she show anything even close to resembling emotion?

#7 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:37 AM

It was yet ANOTHER midstream, freudian maneuver of GL. Lucas is telling his fans he hates them. The Original fans. He even hates the younger Siblings of the original fans. And Yes, he hates the PT fans. He WANTS them to all DIE; erm, buy.

"I've already been dying a little bit each day; ever since you came back into my life".

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:32 AM

Behold! The true explanation for what Padme was thinking during the time she spent with Anakin:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1067165/1/
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Karig Icon

• New Cop

Post icon  Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

It occurred to me this morning that inconsistencies in the PT arise like this because Lucas had what was essentially a story about CHARACTER, but Lucas only worried about what should happen -- the PLOT -- and did not take the time to sit down and think about who the characters really were, where they came from, how they thought, how they reacted to problems or crises, or how they lived their lives. The PT story was supposed to be about the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker, a story that requires that the writer concentrate on the characters. I don't think Lucas did that. I have an idea (not even a hypothesis, more like a vague guess) that Lucas is much more comfortable with fleshing out a plot (e.g., enemy attacks planet, queen calls for help, heroes arrive, heroes plan counterattack, heroes destroy enemy, queen rewards heroes in award ceremony) than in fleshing out his characters. I suspect that Lucas ultimately had only the vaguest of ideas as to why a relatively decent if whiny kid might eventually develop into an apparently remorseless monster who probably killed dozens or hundreds of people in his career (before his final salvation in ROTJ). Losing your mother, your pregnant bride, your place in the Jedi order, and your limbs might make you yearn for death, but before you can become a monster, I think you have to become convinced that other people are evil or for some reason deserve whatever horrible things you want to do to them. I haven't seen ROTS yet, but from what I've heard so far, Lucas doesn't really show Anakin going through this change in thinking.

OK, I'm rambling. I'll stop. cool.gif

#10 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:59 AM

Awesome link, Helena! Who wrote that? It was certainly better plotting than GL demonstrated in the PT. laugh.gif

#11 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Aug 29 2006, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, yeah, I know, they put his mom on the rack and killed her, but when he told Padme he wiped out all the Sandpeople (well, the ones he was able to wipe out) and take out the women and children in addition to0 feeling good, Padme doesn't bat an eyelash, kinda like when he took out the younglings but could have gone back to the good guys since he was "a good person". Odd how the wiping out of an entire class of beings doesn't raise her suspicion, even when she was wearing the Bea Arthur outfit.

One of the many reasons to hate Episode II.

Also, great link there, Helena.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#12 User is offline   Karig Icon

• New Cop

Post icon  Posted 30 August 2006 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE (Helena @ Aug 30 2006, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Behold! The true explanation for what Padme was thinking during the time she spent with Anakin:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1067165/1/

Sarcasm at its finest. Thanks, Helena. smile.gif

#13 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

That fanfiction is really disturbing. But it is the only explanation I can see, Helena. Thanks for sharing.

Padme just finds genocide hot. Is there something wrong with that? To be in poor-taste, it is worth mentioning that many girls pined over Hitler. So ... there is truth to it. I think.

Kids, if you want a hot girl like Natalie Portman, you know what to do! Here are some guns ...
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#14 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (miladyblue @ Aug 30 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Awesome link, Helena! Who wrote that? It was certainly better plotting than GL demonstrated in the PT. laugh.gif

I've no idea who wrote it, but it's one of my favourite stories on ff.net.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

yes, good insight.

Technically, he hated them, past tense, right? He can't hate them now because they're dead.

I hated that movie.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size