Chefelf.com Night Life: The Medieval Festival & Blackwolf the Dragonmaster - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

The Medieval Festival & Blackwolf the Dragonmaster Thursday, October 6, 2005

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:42 PM

Gather around, ladies and gents and hear a tale the likes of which you have never heard! On this past Sunday, October 2, 2005, I set off to the northern tip of Manhattan to attend the Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park. My traveling companions: Jen, 25, human, chaotic good; Caolan, 25, human, lawful evil; and Paul, 29, human, neutral evil.

We had been planning this expedition for some weeks and were greatly looking forward to taking it all in. Paul announced his relief at arriving too late to see the children's parade while Jen and Caolan announced their dismay at the same news.

I thought little of this parade one way or another as my thoughts were focused on seeing my old friend Blackwolf the Dragonmaster. After all, we were going to be in Blackwolf's stomping grounds. I had seen him there quite recently and would have bet my life on him being in attendance at this day's festivities.

When we arrived at the festival we were handed maps and barked at by spear-carrying soldiers who urged us to donate money. Upon seeing the massive crowd (over 40,000 were said to attend) I felt a sense of hopelessness. Finding Blackwolf in a crowd of 40,000 regular people would have been quite easy. Picking him out of a crowd of 39,999 other people dressed in chain mail, robes, etc. would have been quite a feat.

We settled on a patch of lawn in the Centercheap Market and shared a picnic lunch. Unfortunately both parties had decided to bring almost identical items of bread, cheese and apples. The bread that Jen and I purchased had not been salted. To those of you who have never had a loaf of bread where the baker has forgotten to add salt, consider yourselves lucky. It's amazing what a tiny amount salt can do to a batch of dough. So we bothered Paul and Caolan by taking some of their bread and also their delicious chocolate cookies in the shape of little schoolboys. I prefer my sweets to be in the shape of little schoolboys whenever possible. Or donuts... that's a good shape too.

After our lunch we made our way to the tournament field and waited for the joust to begin. As it began we noticed a wonderful parade making their way through the crowd to the tournament field. It was a parade to feature the king, queen and their court. Soon after the parade began my eagle eye spotted the approaching form of Blackwolf. Jen was quick enough to snatch a Flemish painting of the noble wizard as he passed by...

Another Blackwolf sighting brought a smile to my face. The day had been a good one.

After standing around trying to watch the joust (but mostly looking at the back of old lady's heads and children's butts who were perched precariously upon their parents' shoulders) we decided that the master of ceremonies was a bastard. He watched everyone joust and then came onto the field and started killing the remaining knights. "That'll teach you to trust me," he declared as he stabbed knights in the back and ran them through with his sword.

After the joust it was time to head home. It was a short walk home from the festival and on our way out we spied our old friend Blackwolf making his way out of the park. He seemed to be traveling the same way as us but he was quite a quick walker and he made it far ahead of us.

We eventually caught up with the tireless mage who was chatting up a middle-aged Jewish gentleman. We stopped by him and waited for him to finish his conversation which he ended, thoughtfully, by saying, "Shalom." After that, Paul made a brave move and approached the wizard. I'm not quite sure how it happened but Paul was asked about his sign.

"Like Gemini?" Paul asked.

The wizard eyed Paul thoughtfully and then got uncomfortably close to him and muttered. "In my mortal form I am a Leo. You'd best take care for I could rip your throat out."

Needless to say we heeded his warning. The conversation went smoothly after that and Paul made friends with the wizard who declared that he would be delighted to write something down to Paul as a thank you to an old friend and fan.

Blackwolf wrote. And he wrote. And he wrote! After a few minutes he had quite a lengthy note to Paul along with his website address and an invitation to attend the Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at Town Hall event that's happening on November 3. I'm not really sure what that means but it's on my birthday. Preliminary investigation reveals that tickets are in the neighborhood of $145.00 each. The decimal point would have to be moved at least two places to the left for me to want to spend that kind of loot on tickets to anything aside from the 3rd Annual $146.00 Give Away Bonanza.

Also written on the note to Paul was a plug for Triumph's Come Poop with Me CD & DVD set. This is also strange considering that I don't think Blackwolf is mentioned on said CD & DVD.

I had hoped to provide a scan of the note Blackwolf wrote to Paul but unfortunately he has seemed to misplace it. It is, of course, entirely possible that Blackwolf merely enchanted the parchment and it has vanished from existence.

So that was the tale of the Medieval Festival at Fort Tryon Park. I will close with one note. Blackwolf asked me, as a friend, to spread the word about his website. I would be letting a dear friend down if I did not include a link here.

Two ways to get to Blackwolf's site...

The long way:

The short way (though it seems to be down at the moment):

In the words of Blackwolf, "It's an ego thing."

See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:53 PM

Fascinating.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#3 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2005 - 04:04 PM

It looks pretty good.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:49 PM

did you tell him that you were an elven chef?

#5 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:30 PM

Damn am I green with envy right now. Must have been a kick ass fair, planning on going to the next one?
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#6 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Oct 6 2005, 06:49 PM)

laugh.gif
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#7 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Oct 6 2005, 06:49 PM)

Was he?

I would like having a celebration like that

#8 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:39 AM

Medievil fairs sound cool.

And was that Paul in the photo? What happend to Meatz?
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#9 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:13 PM

Paul looks like he's getting gray hair.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:37 AM

That was quite the mystical article. Looks like a lot of fun, Chef. So nice to see peaceful interaction. With jab and jest, no less. Glad you went.

#11 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 October 2005 - 11:24 AM

...Is that a Hockey Hall of Fame T-Shirt I see?

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 10 October 2005 - 12:09 AM

ROFL, he told Paul he'd rip his throat out? ROFL. What a wierd guy! ROFL
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#13 User is offline   Caolan Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Redcloud Collective
  • Interests:Making up songs about how someone is a kitten.

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

I'm a little sad that I am lawful evil. I'd rather be true neutral!!!!

Also, I would like to comment that it was truly sad when Paul's naturally-purple hair began to gray. Nobody saw THAT coming!!!!

#14 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Come on, True Neutral is boring. Screw the balance.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#15 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:58 AM

I like Lawful Evil, myself.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size